Monday 16 February 2026 08:02
Italy to join Trump's Board of Peace in observer capacity, Meloni says
Faced with constitutional hurdles, Meloni says that Italy will likely join the new Washington-led diplomatic body in a non-member capacity to maintain influence in the Middle East.Italy is set to join US president Donald Trump’s 'Board of Peace' as an official observer, the Italian prime minister Giorgia Meloni confirmed on Saturday.Speaking to reporters in Addis Ababa, on the sidelines of the African Union summit, Meloni said that Rome had been invited to participate in an observer capacity and was likely to accept.
"We believe this is a good solution to the clear issue of whether Italy's membership in the Peace Board is constitutionally compatible", Meloni said, adding: "I have always said that with all the work Italy has done, is doing, and must do in the Middle East to stabilise a very complex and fragile situation, an Italian and also European presence is necessary."
Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani, speaking on the sidelines of the Munich Security Conference on Saturday, said Italy is "willing to participate" in the meeting of the Board of Peace scheduled in Washington on 19 February.
"We will see in what format," whether as an observer or in other ways, Tajani said, but "it is important to participate, for the reconstruction of Gaza; the European Commission will also participate."
Navigating constitutional barriers
The primary obstacle to Italy’s full membership is Article 11 of the Italian Constitution, which mandates that Italy may only join international organisations that ensure "peace and justice among nations" on equal terms with other states.
The charter of the Board of Peace, however, establishes a highly centralised structure with Donald Trump as "Chairman for Life," granting him exclusive authority over member invitations, veto power, and the ability to dissolve subsidiary bodies.
Tajani previously flagged this as an "insurmountable" constitutional barrier, as it would place Italy in a subordinate position to a foreign leader.
However, by opting for observer status, Italy would be allowed to participate in discussions without the legal requirement to adhere to executive directives that might conflict with Italian or EU law, as well avoiding the $1 billion fee for full permanent membership.
The move would secure a seat at the table of a major US foreign policy initiative while navigating the legal constraints that prohibit Italy from becoming a full member.
Voice in the post-war future
The Board of Peace was initially conceived as a mechanism to oversee the ceasefire, reconstruction and security of the Gaza Strip following the Israel-Hamas war.
With the Mediterranean being a primary strategic interest for Italy, Rome is eager to ensure its diplomatic and economic interests are represented in any post-war governance framework.
European fractures and alliances
Italy’s move reflects a broader trend of European states seeking a "third way" to engage with the Trump administration’s localised diplomatic efforts.
Romania and Cyprus are expected to join Italy in the observer role. Hungary and Bulgaria have already moved toward full or consultative participation.
The board's inaugural high-level meeting is scheduled for 19 February in Washington, at the Donald J. Trump Institute of Peace.
Tajani is expected to represent Rome, joining representatives from more than 20 nations, including Israel, Egypt and the UAE, to discuss humanitarian funding and the deployment of the International Stabilization Force.
Domestic and international critics
The announcement by Meloni has not been without controversy. Opposition leaders in Italy, including Elly Schlein of the centre-left Partito Democratico (PD) party, say the move would place Italy on the "fringes of the European project."
Critics argue that the Board of Peace seeks to bypass the United Nations Security Council, potentially creating a rival international system where decision-making is concentrated in the hands of a single leader rather than a multilateral consensus.
Chiara Appendino, of the Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S) said it was "unacceptable" for Italy to participate as an observer on the board which she slammed as "nothing more than a hedge fund at the expense of the Palestinians".
"This decision by Giorgia Meloni, which confirms her total subservience to US domination, not only betrays the pacifist spirit of Article 11 of the Constitution, but also ties our country to an operation which ignores stability to aim at the destruction of International law and the legitimate aspirations of the Palestinian people", Appendino said.
"We are facing a neocolonialist project that denies any prospect of peace and is complicit in the genocide taking place in Gaza" - Appendino added - "For the umpteenth time, Meloni has chosen to be on the wrong side of history. Italy cannot and must not be complicit in this massacre: we will oppose it with all our strength."
The Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem, Cardinal Pierbattista Pizzaballa, speaking at a meeting in Arezzo at the weekend, criticised the Trump administration's proposals for Gaza. "There will be no resort in Gaza" - Pizzaballa said - "Whatever they want to do, it cannot ignore the two million people who are there, who have lost everything but their dignity."
Photo credit: Alexandros Michailidis / Shutterstock.com.
#news #politics #top stories
read the news on Wanted in Rome - News in Italy - Rome's local English news
Italy is set to join US president Donald Trump’s 'Board of Peace' as an official observer, the Italian prime minister Giorgia Meloni confirmed on Saturday.
Speaking to reporters in Addis Ababa, on the sidelines of the African Union summit, Meloni said that Rome had been invited to participate in an observer capacity and was likely to accept.
"We believe this is a good solution to the clear issue of whether Italy's membership in the Peace Board is constitutionally compatible", Meloni said, adding: "I have always said that with all the work Italy has done, is doing, and must do in the Middle East to stabilise a very complex and fragile situation, an Italian and also European presence is necessary."
Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani, speaking on the sidelines of the Munich Security Conference on Saturday, said Italy is "willing to participate" in the meeting of the Board of Peace scheduled in Washington on 19 February.
"We will see in what format," whether as an observer or in other ways, Tajani said, but "it is important to participate, for the reconstruction of Gaza; the European Commission will also participate."
The primary obstacle to Italy’s full membership is Article 11 of the Italian Constitution, which mandates that Italy may only join international organisations that ensure "peace and justice among nations" on equal terms with other states.
The charter of the Board of Peace, however, establishes a highly centralised structure with Donald Trump as "Chairman for Life," granting him exclusive authority over member invitations, veto power, and the ability to dissolve subsidiary bodies.
Tajani previously flagged this as an "insurmountable" constitutional barrier, as it would place Italy in a subordinate position to a foreign leader.
However, by opting for observer status, Italy would be allowed to participate in discussions without the legal requirement to adhere to executive directives that might conflict with Italian or EU law, as well avoiding the $1 billion fee for full permanent membership.
The move would secure a seat at the table of a major US foreign policy initiative while navigating the legal constraints that prohibit Italy from becoming a full member.
The Board of Peace was initially conceived as a mechanism to oversee the ceasefire, reconstruction and security of the Gaza Strip following the Israel-Hamas war.
With the Mediterranean being a primary strategic interest for Italy, Rome is eager to ensure its diplomatic and economic interests are represented in any post-war governance framework.
Italy’s move reflects a broader trend of European states seeking a "third way" to engage with the Trump administration’s localised diplomatic efforts.
Romania and Cyprus are expected to join Italy in the observer role. Hungary and Bulgaria have already moved toward full or consultative participation.
The board's inaugural high-level meeting is scheduled for 19 February in Washington, at the Donald J. Trump Institute of Peace.
Tajani is expected to represent Rome, joining representatives from more than 20 nations, including Israel, Egypt and the UAE, to discuss humanitarian funding and the deployment of the International Stabilization Force.
The announcement by Meloni has not been without controversy. Opposition leaders in Italy, including Elly Schlein of the centre-left Partito Democratico (PD) party, say the move would place Italy on the "fringes of the European project."
Critics argue that the Board of Peace seeks to bypass the United Nations Security Council, potentially creating a rival international system where decision-making is concentrated in the hands of a single leader rather than a multilateral consensus.
Chiara Appendino, of the Movimento 5 Stelle (M5S) said it was "unacceptable" for Italy to participate as an observer on the board which she slammed as "nothing more than a hedge fund at the expense of the Palestinians".
"This decision by Giorgia Meloni, which confirms her total subservience to US domination, not only betrays the pacifist spirit of Article 11 of the Constitution, but also ties our country to an operation which ignores stability to aim at the destruction of International law and the legitimate aspirations of the Palestinian people", Appendino said.
"We are facing a neocolonialist project that denies any prospect of peace and is complicit in the genocide taking place in Gaza" - Appendino added - "For the umpteenth time, Meloni has chosen to be on the wrong side of history. Italy cannot and must not be complicit in this massacre: we will oppose it with all our strength."
The Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem, Cardinal Pierbattista Pizzaballa, speaking at a meeting in Arezzo at the weekend, criticised the Trump administration's proposals for Gaza. "There will be no resort in Gaza" - Pizzaballa said - "Whatever they want to do, it cannot ignore the two million people who are there, who have lost everything but their dignity."
Photo credit: Alexandros Michailidis / Shutterstock.com.
