Services > Feed-O-Matic > 78744 šŸ”—

Wednesday 11 November 2020 12:11

Italy: Conte says goal is to avert total lockdown

Forget about crowded ChristmasĀ lunches and parties, says Conte.Italy'sĀ premier Giuseppe Conte says his government is doing all that it can to tackle the second wave of covid-19 while averting another "total lockdown.""WeĀ must wait, andĀ hold our nerve.." This is how Conte began his interview with Italian daily newspaper La Stampa, before clarifying immediately that his main goal is "to avoid total lockdown." Covid-19: Italy declares red and orange zones under new restrictions Acknowledging that the "curve is rising," Conte said: "I expect that in the next few days, also due to the effect of our measures, it will begin to bend." Last week Conte introduced a three-tier system, based on a colour code according to the intensity of the epidemic, dividing Italy intoĀ redĀ (high-risk),Ā orangeĀ (medium risk) andĀ yellowĀ (lower risk) zones, with "soft lockdowns" applying in the red zones. Conte repeated to La Stampa thatĀ a generalised lockdown in Italy "cannot be our first choice" as the costs would be "too high," adding that the government "has a strategy, and we expect it to give results soon." Covid-19: Italy's doctors call for total lockdown Asked whether he agreed that the government had "wasted three months" in addressing shortfalls in its covid-19 response over the summer, Conte was firm in his response, rejecting outright any accusation that the government was "on holiday." "We have doubled the intensive care beds compared to last spring, we have introduced more than 36,000 doctors and nurses into health services, we have increased the capacity to carry out swabs, reaching peaks of 230,000 in one day compared to 25,000 at the beginning of the emergency." Covid-19: Doctors call for red zone across Italy Conte also acknowledged the sacrifices facing citizens, both economic and personal, and said that people "deserve praise for the self-denial and sense of responsibility they have shown up to now, with rare exceptions which naturally make headlines." However people will be asked to make further efforts, the premier told La Stampa. "The situation, throughout Europe, is serious. Everyone has to play their part." Conte also said that he expects Christmas to be celebrated among families, "with caution," however he stressed that "we cannot imagine crowded parties and lunches."

read the news on Wanted in Rome - Rome's local English news



Italy'sĀ premier Giuseppe Conte says his government is doing all that it can to tackle the second wave of
covid-19
while averting another "total lockdown." "WeĀ must wait, andĀ hold our nerve.." This is how Conte began his interview with Italian daily newspaper La Stampa, before clarifying immediately that his main goal is "to avoid total lockdown."
  • Covid-19: Italy declares red and orange zones under new restrictions
Acknowledging that the "curve is rising," Conte said: "I expect that in the next few days, also due to the effect of our measures, it will begin to bend." Last week Conte introduced a three-tier system, based on a colour code according to the intensity of the epidemic, dividing Italy intoĀ redĀ (high-risk),Ā orangeĀ (medium risk) andĀ yellowĀ (lower risk) zones, with "soft lockdowns" applying in the red zones. Conte repeated to La Stampa thatĀ a generalised lockdown in Italy "cannot be our first choice" as the costs would be "too high," adding that the government "has a strategy, and we expect it to give results soon."
  • Covid-19: Italy's doctors call for total lockdown
Asked whether he agreed that the government had "wasted three months" in addressing shortfalls in its covid-19 response over the summer, Conte was firm in his response, rejecting outright any accusation that the government was "on holiday." "We have doubled the intensive care beds compared to last spring, we have introduced more than 36,000 doctors and nurses into health services, we have increased the capacity to carry out swabs, reaching peaks of 230,000 in one day compared to 25,000 at the beginning of the emergency."
  • Covid-19: Doctors call for red zone across Italy
Conte also acknowledged the sacrifices facing citizens, both economic and personal, and said that people "deserve praise for the self-denial and sense of responsibility they have shown up to now, with rare exceptions which naturally make headlines." However people will be asked to make further efforts, the premier told La Stampa. "The situation, throughout Europe, is serious. Everyone has to play their part." Conte also said that he expects Christmas to be celebrated among families, "with caution," however he stressed that "we cannot imagine crowded parties and lunches."
most readead
This site uses technical cookies, including from third parties, to improve the services offered and optimize the user experience. Please read the privacy policy. By closing this banner you accept the privacy conditions and consent to the use of cookies.
CLOSE