Pincio

Piazzale Napoleone I - 00187 Rome

It is a public park of Rome which stands on a hill of 51 meters
and has 31 meters level difference with the lower
Piazza del Popolo
On the site of the square in IVth the century B.C.
Villa dei Pinci rose up.

On the hill the body of Nero was burnt up and many legends
were born about the hill with apparitions of ghosts.

The park in its current look was designed by architect Giuseppe
Valadier (1810-18) and performed for the commission of the pope
Pious VII after his return to Rome in the tradition of the villas
of Seicento and Settecento

It was spread out where in the past the groups of splendid villas
encircling Rome had place, especially in the eastern part.
In this areaLucullo had his horti
Trinità dei Monti),
the Acili had ones in the northern part, the Domizi had their ones above
Piazza del Popolo)
and later in the IVth century the Pinci had ones who left their
name for the hill.

Up to the 900 the Pincio was destined to be a classical place
of the Romans' entertainments where also the concerts of
the municipal band were performed.

The avenues of the Pincio, for the initiative of G.Mazzini were
adorned by the busts of great Italian patriots.

Just after the entry on the right side one can notice the cippus
that remembers about Galileo Galilei who was kept imprisoned by
the order of Sant' Uffizio from 1630 to 1633, in the Villa Medici.

Passing by the Viale of A. Mickiewiex one can pass by the house of
Valadier. It is a small neo-classical building and since its opening
in 1817 it was intended for the caffe-restaurant. It opens a way
to the wide Napoleon square so-called to memorize the impulse given
by Napoleon who had never been in Rome to the embellishment of
the Pincio.

From the big terrace of the Napoleon square, the central part of
the Pincio, overlooking to the
Piazza del Popolo
from the ramps descending from the hill one enjoys a very beautiful and very
famous panorama which is between the most famous in Rome particularly at the sunset.

In the Napoleon square along the Via dell' Obelisco the thin obelisk
dedicated by the Emperor Hadrian to his favourite Antino and discovered
in the XVI century behind the Porta Maggiore stands in the middle. It was
set up here by Pious VII in 1822. Parting from this point one can reach
the big flyover that passing over the Viale del Muro Torto connects
the Pincio to
Villa Borghese.

This site uses technical cookies, including from third parties, to improve the services offered and optimize the user experience. Please read the privacy policy. By closing this banner you accept the privacy conditions and consent to the use of cookies.
CLOSE